Saturday, August 13, 2011

Heatless Curls - Hair Tutorial

Last week Ashley from Little Miss Momma challenged her readers to wear headbands you can read more about it here. You can also read how my headband wearing adventure turned out here.

One night I accidentally created my new favorite way to wear my hair. It's super simple and its heat-free and basically takes no time at all. As a busy mom who sometimes doesn't even get to wash her hair for a few days (yeah, gross) this is perfect for me.
You will need:
Gel or spray gel (I use wonder waves by Garnier Fructis)
Hair spray
Headband elastic
Hairpins (optional)

Step 1:
I started mine with day old hair. You can do this after you wash your hair too. Just spray your hair with gel and let it air dry. Or you can do it with already styled day old hair. I just sprayed my hair with hair spray to dirty it up a little and give it some texture.  The key is to do it with dry hair - I tried it wet and it didn't work because when I took it out my hair was still damp and the curls fell out.

Step 2:
When your hair is dry put the headband around your head. I puff up my roots because I like a little volume.

Step 3:
This is where you will start making your 'curls' start in the front and grab a piece of hair. I started with my bangs..

Step 4:
Now start wrapping your hair around the elastic. Just once then grab another piece of hair and wrap that around the elastic. I try to keep my sections small like an inch or so to give me a good curl. Also, the tighter you wrap the hair around the elastic the tighter your curl will be.
Step 5:
Keep wrapping your hair around the elastic. It takes some getting used too but eventually its kind of easy. When you get towards the back you may have to push your hair forward to make enough room. 

Step 6:
Wrap both sides. When you get to the end in the back wrap the remaining hair around the elastic until it is all wrapped up and your hair is completely covering the elastic band. If your hair is long or thick you may want to secure some of the 'curls' with hairpins. They help to keep the curls in place overnight. Puff the top again if you wish - this will give you some volume.
Give it a shot of hairspray.

Now sleep on it! I've actually done this in the morning and sat around (in the house no going out in public like this!!) for a few hours and I had the same results. So it really doesn't take that long for the curls to happen.


Step 7 & 8:
When you wake up it will look something like this. Some parts may have fallen out, that's alright. It all depends on how crazy you sleep and how tight you wrapped it.

Step 9:
Pull out the elastic. You may need to unwrap the hair. Try to do this as gently as possible to keep the frizz down. When your hair is free from the elastic it should look something like this.

Step 10:
Style any way you want. Add a little hairspray and you are good to go.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy

A little curly, a little messy - just the way I like it.

Linked up at: Tatertots and Jello

5 comments :

  1. Well, I commented you once and I think it may have gotten lost in cyber space?? Hopefully this is not the second comment that will show up... That may seem a bit stalkerish.. Which I can assure you I am NOT! Assuming it did get lost, let's try this again.... ;)

    Hi Lindsay! Thanks soo much for the follow and the comment! I was SUPER excited to receive my first notification. : ). And I love that another wifey-momma can relate to my overwhelming beer brewing joy! HA!
    As I am sure you've read by now, we have 3 teenage daughters... So to say that they will be pumped to see this post is an understatement! Very cool! Have heard about this technique, but never seen it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and the follow! This looks so awesome! I will definately try it... i'm always trying to find ways to curl my hair without damaging it with heat... so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following with GFC :)
    Thanks for linking up at Bacon Time. I am going to feature this post on Friday mornning too! Hope to see you each week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lindsay! I was going to post a link to this in my friday five if you don't mind?

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...