Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Let's Get This Potty Started

source

I can't believe I am even writing a post about potty training. Where did my baby go?

Oliver has been interested for awhile. When I say interested I mean he likes to follow us to the bathroom. He also likes to follow our guests. It makes for some awesome awkward times in our household.

Like I said Oliver is interested. And he appears ready. However, I don't know if I am. Granted, I really could do without two kids in diapers. But this milestone is big, huge. It means that my baby really isn't a baby anymore. That's a big pill to swallow. I know I need to just get over it and set aside a few days and just do it but the thought of him potty trained makes me sad.

Maybe I'm weird. I am.

We have introduced the potty to him. He has two, the little chair one that he likes to take the 'pee bucket' out of and wear as a hat. And the little seat that goes on the regular toilet. That one seems to be working better. He has sat on it a few times, but never actually gone to the bathroom. Apparently he thinks just sitting on the toilet is going 'poopoo and pee'.

So my question is to those of you who have kids, how did you do it? The whole potty training process seems pretty easy. I've read about letting the kids hang out in underwear for a few days and take them to the bathroom every 15 minutes or so. Has anyone tried that? How did it work? Any advice is welcome and the best way to clean up accidents from a carpet, because I am sure we will have a few of those too.

5 comments :

  1. Hey linds,

    We put a potty chair right in the kitchen at first. It made for easy cleanup and was closer to the living room. We let the boys run around in underwear and only used pullups at night. They seemed confused when we tried pullups during the day. It was as if they couldn't tell the difference between pullups and diapers. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the best timing. Aaden is also curious and by luck he did go poops on the potty the other day but it was completely me catching him in the moment. I can't wait to read what people say and to see how Oliver does! Best of luck to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take him to the potty every 20 mins let him sit try turning on the water might help, when he actually goes make a huge deal clap, dance, sing, reward we used m&m's 1 for pee 2 for poop! Aiden rarley ever got candy so when potty training was on the boy was excited to get an m&m I used to say yay yay u pee peed in the potty or pooped in the potty made a silly face & looked like a weirdo dancing but he loved it, I was so excited about it, it made him excited! He prefered the big potty over the little I put him in underwear so if he did have a accident he felt it & knew I'd just say uh oh it's ok let's try & sit on the potty quick to re-enforce thats where we needed to go. Aiden was wearing underwear to preschool at 22 months :) good luck!! As for accidents you may want to invest in a hand held carpet cleaner they work great & get the stuff for pets b/c it 's made more to help get pee out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a book called "Early start potty training" and highly recommend it. There is a section for each age you are trying to train, but recommends starting as early as 18 months.

    Anyway, the basic idea for a 18-24 month old is to let them go diaperless for a day and see how often they eliminate and record on paper. Say the pee every hour, then you take them for a potty trip every hour. You sit in the bathroom with them and pretend to read a book, and tell them to sit on the potty and read their book and relax so that they can go pee. After they've relaxed for a few minutes, then you can read them potty training books. I recommend "Everyone Poops". The goal is to make each potty session last about 10 minutes. At this age, the book says the key is to get them to relax and when they accidentally eliminate in the potty you praise the heck out them, and offer rewards if you like. Then continue to take them every hour. Highly recommend reading the book if you have the time. It explains everything in greater details. GOod luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the advice ladies! Oliver picked out his favorite underroos and I plan in being consistent with it today! We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the book recommendation  too, I just ordered it!

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...