Thursday, February 23, 2012

Arrrrrgh Matey - Captain Oliver is 2.

I had so much fun planning this party. Last years theme of Yo Gabba Gabba was fun, but this party blew that one out of the water. 

I went back and forth between doing a Cars theme (cars in general, not the movie) or Pirates. Oliver loves them both but lately it's been pirates
so that's what I went with. 

Welcome to Captain Oliver's Pirate Birthday Party. 

For the backdrop I used some of the infamous drop cloth that I bought for Landon's curtains. You know that drop cloth has been used for so many things. So maybe it was a good thing that the curtains didn't work out. 


I made the bunting using my cricut. I cut out the triangles and hole punched the two top corners. I connected them with black ribbon and then tied strips of the drop cloth to the ribbon to make it look more 'pirateish'. For the circles I cut them out by hand. I don't have a plain circle cartridge. The letters were cut out using the Classic Font cartridge on my cricut. I glued the letters onto the circles than glued the circles onto the triangles and assembled the whole bunting. 

It was hung to the drop cloth backdrop with safety pins. 
The cloth hanging from the top and bottom of the backdrop is just random articles of clothing I stole from Ryan's side of the closet and cut up. Kidding. They are old clothes but it was from my end-of-the-world-I may-need-these-to-sew something-someday-stash. See Ryan - This was the reason I don't throw anything away. 

Alright Moving on….

The food table. Where to begin?


How about that nice little treasure chest smack dab in the middle of the table. That baby was made out of rice crispy treats. I just made a batch of rice crispy treats then put it into a 13x9 in pan. I let it cool for a few minutes and then cut it in half. I smushed the one square of it to make it rounded on top to make it look like the top of a treasure chest. Then I put it into the fridge to cool.  I used just regular chocolate frosting to frost it. Then Reese's Pieces to decorate it. The brown was used for the top of the chest and the yellow and orange were tossed inside to look like money. 


The cupcakes were dark chocolate with chocolate frosting. I found the pirate skull and crossbone wrappers at our local grocery store. Along with the gold sprinkles. The gold coins came from Party City. The Jolly Roger flags I printed myself. I found them here



The two red square bowls were from the dollar section at Target. I printed the skull and crossbones and just glued them on. 

The food and drinks were labeled with pirate themed names. I used my cricut to make labels then just wrote the names on with a black pen. 
The bottles in the background are empty beer bottles. I removed the labels and then wrapped strips of drop cloth around the bottle and secured it with hot glue. The reeds in the bottles were something I had on hand - originally bought from Pier 1 several years ago. 
The skull once had vodka in it. Dan Aykroyd makes it. I'm not sure what it's called. 
{we look like alcoholics}

We only had three kids attending the party so I made homemade play-dough {recipe at bottom} 
I colored it red to go along with our theme and stored it in plastic containers from the dollar store. I included a print out of the play dough recipe in case the parents wanted to make more at home. I tied it up with red yarn and placed them in brown paper gift bags also from the dollar store. I used more of the drop cloth to hold four pirate themed temporary tattoos and gold coin chocolates (both from Party City). I tied them up to look like a pirate pouch. They were also placed in the gift bag. I used black ribbon, red yarn and strips of drop cloth to tie the gift bags closed. The ship picture I found after searching for pirate ship clip art. I wrote the child's name in the top sail and a little thank you from Oliver in the bottom. 
Next to the gift bags I placed stick on mustaches (Dollar Store) and pirate themed noise makers. (Party City) 

The dining room was the main room that was decorated. But I wanted to carry the theme throughout the house. Over the front window balloons were strung up by threading thread through the ends. Then I just tied the thread to the curtain rod. 

Over the mirror in the living room I hung black and white streamers and a skull and cross bones banner I found here

I also hung balloons and streamers from the railing on our stairs 

The boys shirts were a gift from my Sister in Law. She lives in North Carolina and couldn't make it up for the party but had these made for Oliver and Landon. Aren't they adorable?!
She got them from here. Make sure you check Leslie's Etsy site out - she does amazing work. 
This is Oliver's 3rd shirt from her. They are all well made and hold up nicely. 



Oliver had a wonderful time opening gifts until he opened a Melissa and Doug hammering toy. After that all he wanted to do was play. So I finished opening his gifts for him 

After presents we sang Happy Birthday to Oliver and enjoyed some cupcakes. 


It was a great day. For a super sweet little boy. I think Oliver had a blast at his party. I had so much fun setting up and creating everything. It was a lot of work but it was worth it. 

Thank you to everyone who came. And a big thank you to my amazing husband Ryan for putting up with all the craziness and my bossiness (sorry). And to my Grandma and my Bestest friend Jessica for helping to wrangle my children while I set up. 
You all are awesomesauce.  


Play Dough Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water 
1 Tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons cream of tartar 
Food coloring by drops
Directions:
Add all ingredients but the food coloring to a pot and cook over med-low heat. Stir until a ball starts to form. 
Remove dough ball from the pot, add food coloring to the dough and knead for about 5 minutes.  Make sure to mix the food coloring in well. 
Store dough in a plastic container. 

Linking up here






Pin It

6 comments :

  1. pirates! too cute! you really had this thing thought out! i will have to remember about that hammering toy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative! I like how you get just as excited over the little things as Oliver does. I am sure he will always cherish these "special" things that you do for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did an amazing job! What a fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your party fun at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...