Monday, February 27, 2012

Dontcha Wish Your Soup Was Hot Like Mine...

...Sorry I have no idea where that title even came from - but from the moment I started writing this post, that song was stuck in my head. 
Lucky you. Or me. 

I love homemade soup. But I am over the everyday kinds like vegetable and minestrone. 
I recently discovered Skinny Mac & Cheese Soup over at SkinnyTaste
This soup is delicious. Warm and comforting and delicious. 
Did you hear me?! Delicious!


I've been trying a lot of different things since I've been on weight watchers. 
I rate the recipes on Oliver reaction to them. If he eats them, I keep the recipe - if he turns his nose up and run away demanding popcorn or goldfish, I know the recipe has to go. 

This soup he loves. Which is understandable seeing he would live on mac & cheese. 
Now we are a family that loves Kraft but I'm trying to branch away from the boxed and processed. 
This soup is helping me do that. 

Alright, enough with all the talk on how wonderful this soup is. 
Here is the recipe. 

Ingredients 
4oz of dry macaroni 
(I've used macaroni and small shells and both have been fine. So any pasta you have on hand should work)
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced 
1 tbsp light butter
2tbsp flour
2 1/2 cups low sodium fat free chicken broth (or veggie broth)
1 cup fat free milk
pinch nutmeg
1/2 tsp dry mustard
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups (about 10oz) broccoli florets, chopped into small pieces
1 1/2 cups 2% sharp cheddar, shredded
2tbsp Parmesan cheese

Directions
Boil pasta in salted water according to directions on box. Drain and set aside.
Chop onion, celery, carrot and garlic.
In a large soup pot or dutch oven melt butter and add veggies. Saute on low heat until soft. 
Add flour and fresh pepper to the pot and stir until smooth.
Slowly add chicken broth, milk, nutmeg and dry mustard powder - whisking constantly.
Set heat to med-high until it comes to a boil.
Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Add broccoli and Parmesan cheese. Stir well. 
Adjust salt and pepper if needed.
Cook uncovered until broccoli is cooked.
Add cheddar - mixing well until melted. Immediately remove from heat.
Add macaroni and adjust salt and pepper if needed. 

The recipe says to eat immediately so the pasta doesn't absorb all the broth but I made mine earlier in the day and it was fine. Also, the first time I made this I didn't have broccoli so I used half a bag of frozen spinach and it was delicious. So I think this soup would work with whatever veggies you have on hand, or need to use up. 


Enjoy. 

Recipe found here


2 comments :

  1. Jessica DonaldsonMarch 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM

    When i make homemade soups I just keep the pasta on the side and add when eating so they dont get mushy and absorb all the broth.. I am def going to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...