Monday, March 5, 2012

A Baby Shower.....

Every Momma needs those moments where they can relax and recharge their batteries. To interact with other adults and have adult conversations. I love my boys more than anything but getting away for a few hours is necessary not just for me but for them also. It not only makes me a better Momma, it gives them time with Ryan. Time that is so needed in their life. Time that they don't get enough of. Leaving my children is still difficult but I know now that it's all part of the game, if you would of ask me two years ago...I probably would of made an excuse to stay home. 

Yesterday was that day.
You see, I had big plans to attend my best friend's baby shower. 
We have breakfast with my in laws every Sunday morning 
but this Sunday Ryan was on his own. 
As I watched them pull out of the driveway
I felt like a teenager who's parents left them alone for a weekend. 
I wanted to throw a party
I took a long uninterrupted shower instead. 

Jessica's shower was held in this sweet little community center building where her uncle lives. I was so warm and cozy and reminded me of a ski lodge. 
We ate food and drank punch. And had conversation. Real adult conversation.  
The common theme of that conversation was of course
our children. Most of the women there were moms, it's the one thing we all have in common. The one thing we are so proud of that we love to share. 

I knew I wanted to do something special for Jessica. We have been friends since we were 5 years old. We grew up together and then in high school grew apart due to teenage drama and stupid petty things. 
When I got engaged, I knew I wanted her to be apart of my special day. Yes, we had grown apart but she knew me. The real me. She was my very best friend and I missed her. So I reached out to her and we picked up right where we left off. It was like no time passed at all. 
She was my Maid of Honor and my voice of reason. When I would have a mild freak out over programs not printing correctly or table placements she was there to help. 
When I had Oliver, Ryan and I knew who his Godparents would be. We never had anyone else in mind. Jessica and Joe are so good to him and he loves them so. It was a simple decision. 
Then Landon came along and again we knew we wanted them to be his Godparents also. 
They are that special to us. They are that special to my kids. 

One night while I was reading some blogs I discovered Suzy's blog, Joy is at Home. I just kept reading. The girl has serious talent. Then I got to her Hospital Survival Kit. Brilliant. 
I knew I needed to make one for Jessica.
Hospital stays are anything but pleasant. I wanted to give Jessica a little something to make her feel pampered after she popped out that baby. 
The Momma Survival Kit.



Here's a list of the items I included. 
-Shampoo/conditioner
-Chap stick - *so important to a Momma in labor
-Gum
-Toothbrush/paste
-Those little 'whisp' brushes
-Loofah
-Body wash
-Nipple cream
-Tissues
-Hand Sanitizer
-Hair ties -* another MUST have 
- Thank you cards
- Body spray
- Deodorant 
- Goldfish crackers (for a little snack after - I was always so hungry)
*Side note - there was chocolate in there - I left the bucket on the table and Oliver found the chocolate. He opened it. And ate it all.*

It was a sweet little gift for the Momma to be.

Gifts for Baby Cameron were simple to plan out. I have two boys, I know what boys like. The theme of Baby C's room is Snoopy so when I saw some Snoopy and Woodstock flannel at Joann Fabrics I knew he needed a blanket. 




Then I saw the skull and pirate ship flannel and knew he needed a blanket out of that also.


These blankets were super simple to make. I used the tutorial from here. She posted this at the right time. I am forever making my blankets this way! It was so easy and they look amazing. 

I was invited to join a Mod Podge group on Pinterest. That place is amazing - so many inspiring ideas. But when I discovered there was Fabric Mod Podge I knew I needed it. I was tempted to run to my local Joann's but it was 10:30 at night, so I knew I needed to wait until morning. 
Bummer. 
It gave me time to plan what I wanted to make. I love the tie onesies that are pretty popular these days. So I figured I would make him a tie onesie with some star fabric I had originally purchased for curtains for Oliver's room. 
That plan fell though, so a star tie onesie it is.


(Tutorial coming this week)

Fabric Mod Podge is awesome.


For Oliver's first Halloween he was an alligator, my grandma and I made his costume. 

I used the same method of creating his tale for his costume as I did for adding the spikes to the Dino hoodie. I wanted to practice on Oliver's stuff first in case I couldn't figure it out. But once I created Olivers I wanted to keep going so baby C got a Dino Hoodie also. 



I love his Dino Hoodie. I actually found the outfit at Target It came with a onesie with little dinosaurs on it a pair of pants and the hoodie. The hoodie even has a dinosaur appliqued on the front. 
It was meant to be. 
(Whoa I said hoodie a lot) 

The bucket I used to hold all the little items was from Target's dollar section. Along with the silver bucket I used for Jessica's "Momma Survival Kit"

I used my Cricut and vinyl to write Cameron's name on the blue bucket and "Mommas Survival Kit" on Jessica's bucket. 

The diaper cake. 




I received a diaper cake for my baby shower with Oliver. 
Prior to that I had never seen one. I fell in love with it. 
I thought it was such a cute and creative way to give a Momma to be diapers. 
Landon came out a toddler so I had a lot of small diapers left over. 
I knew I could use them for a diaper cake for Jessica and Baby C. I had more fun creating it and adding all the little baby things to it once it was finished. 
The puppy with the pacifier on top is a WubbaNub
Oh you don't know what a WubbaNub is? Well you should if you have babies/plan on babies you need one of these!! Landon has one and loves it. It's the only "Charlie" (pacifier) that he doesn't keep spitting out.

Jessica and Joe we are so excited for you. Baby C we can't wait until you get here. Oliver and Landon are so excited for their new 'cousin'.






Happy Monday! 

4 comments :

  1. What a sweet post about your friendship with Jessica. You two are lucky to have each other. I love, love, love all your creativity your gifts are all made especially for that little guy with lots love, very nice. I am sure your boys and Jessica's little man will all share the same kind of extra special friendship their momma's do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness... What a cute baby shower!! I would love for you to link up to my party going on now at Jillify It! Hope to see you there!

    Jill
    www.jillifyit.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baby showers! A very sweet post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love baby showers and I totally agree about the "needing some grown up conversation" Love to see you are still soo close with a friend for soo long....that is a rarity no a days! Would love to have you share this at my link party going on now and maybe even become my newest follower :) Following you via Google Friend Connect and Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...