Friday, April 13, 2012

Fabric Covered Diaper Box




Everyone needs storage boxes, I know that I use them everywhere. It seems that I never have enough. One thing I do have enough of is, diaper boxes. So my thought was to cover a diaper box in fabric. With what else? But my new favorite thing ever...Fabric Mod Podge! I told you, I want to put this stuff on everything.

This is such a simple tutorial that can be used on any type of box. It doesn't need to be just a diaper box. Heck, you could cover a tampon box if you want. Not sure why you'd want too but hey if the mood strikes - I'll show you how to do it.


You will need 
A box - any kind 
Measuring tape
Scissors
Mod Podge
Sponge brush 
Fabric 
Pen



Step 1:
   You are going to cut the top flaps off all 4 sides of the box. At this point if there are any rips or tears in the box you could tape them up if you'd like.


Step 2:
    Flip your box over and measure from one side to the other to get the width. Then measure from one side to the other to get the length.
    When you get your measurement for the box, cut out your fabric to the appropriate length and width.



Step 3:
    Take your box, flip it back over so it's right side up and place it in the middle of your fabric.
    From each corner, measure out 2 inches. Draw a line. It may be best to use a disappearing ink pen, I didn't have one so I just used a regular pen and traced the line very lightly. Do this to all 4 sides.


Step 4:
    From the end of the 2 inch line measure out and draw a line to the end of the fabric. You will be making a square shape.  Do this to all 4 sides.


Step 5:
    This step isn't necessary, but if you have a cute little baby who just woke up from his nap. Stop and take his picture!! :)


Step 6:
    Cut out all 4 squares you made up in Step 4. Then cut all the 2 inch lines you made from each of the 4 corners.


Step 7:
    Starting with one side of the box. Apply a thick layer of mod podge using the foam brush. Starting from the bottom and working your way up. Pull the fabric up to cover your box. Smooth out any air bubbles along the way. Glue the remaining fabric onto the inside of the box.

Step 8: 
     On the short sides of your box (if you have short sides, my box was square so I just picked the two opposite sides of the box) You are going to want to glue the flaps down on the side of the box. {If this step is confusing - Email me or ask for clarification in the comments and I'd be happy to help you} 



Step 9:
     On the two other sides, you are going to fold the fabric flaps edges in, and glue them down. Then Mod Podge the fabric to the box.


Step 10:
     When all the fabric has been glued to the box. Let it dry. Once dry, I added a layer of Mod Podge on the 4 sides of the fabric. Just to make sure it was secure.



.::A few disclaimers::.

* If you plan on using a lighter fabric like I did, make sure you cover your box in some paper first or the picture from the box will show through. I didn't realize this and after I was finished, Ryan pointed out that you could see the pampers baby from the box. So I had to carefully peel the fabric off and glue paper down the re-glue everything. Not a huge fail, just annoying.

* I didn't line the inside of my box, because I knew no one would be able to see it. If you plan of putting it on a shelf or out where the inside would be seen, you could easily add fabric to the inside of the box by using the same method as above.

I think that is it, if you have any questions, please leave them in the comments, or email me.

Oh yeah, see that cute little Tea cart up there? That was my great grandmothers. My grandma gave it to Ryan and I when we first bought out house because we literally had zero furniture. We came from a teeny tiny apartment, into this ginormous {to us} house. I liked the little tea cart but it was dark drabby brown stain so when Ryan was on vacation I decided to paint it!!

Here's a picture of it before, behind that crazy, dysfunctional family!



I think it looks much better now. How about you?

Linking up to these fine parties.

Happy Friday the 13th! 

20 comments :

  1. What a great idea. That looks so cute!

    Catherine
    FEST (food, style & travel)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea! I love how your photographed all your steps. I am a new follower from Follow Me Wednesday! My blog is http://naptimeshopper.blogspot.com/. Thanks again for the creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found you through HelloCotton! I have to tell you that I have an obsession with modge podge and I also have way too many diaper boxes hanging around my house. I am definitely going to make some cute storage boxes! Whenever I get around to making a few I'll be posting it on my blog with a link back to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for linking up this week to Fantabulous Friday @ Little Becky Homecky! Did you enter the giveaway yet?
    http://littlebeckyhomecky.blogspot.com/2012/04/fantabulous-friday8-fashion-to-figure.html

    Katie @ Little Becky Homecky

    ReplyDelete
  5. step 5 is my favorite!! and i love that beverage cart! absolutely fabulous! found you through the sunday social. i'm also a new follower. stop over and say hi sometime :)

    andie @ crayonfreckles

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! I'd love for you to share this at Mix it up Monday:

    http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2012/04/mix-it-up-monday.html#more

    I hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

      Delete
  7. Great idea!I have several diaper boxes that i need to do this to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting from the Meet Up! Beautiful the way it turned out and LOVE that tea cart as well! :)

    ~Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is to stinking cute. What a great job. and I love the babies binki with the stash on it. I would love it if you showed it off at my new linky party @ Kampenlane.com.

    I can't wait to see what else you create.

    ~Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great idea! Like you, I always have spare diaper boxes around and I'm always looking for ideas to organize my house. I was thinking of buying a couple boxes like this at Home Depot, but the Martha Stewart versions are so expensive that I couldn't justify it. Now I'll be looking for a box that fits my bookcase and I'll just decorate it myself like you did. :) Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, I love that! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never mod podged fabric before. But it looks great! Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The box looks great and I LOVE the yellow cart too! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at "Pin It & Win It Wednesday" at www.cheapcraftymama.com!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! Never thought I'd say that I was sad that I don't have any diaper boxes to use anymore;) I guess I'll have to find a different box. Love the cart too. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! I love this idea!! Some of those organizing boxes are so expensive and this looks great! I want to try it :)

    www.chicmodaglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cute idea! I have a couple of diaper boxes stored away that I can still use! I saw your feature over at Sugar and Dots! congrats!!!


    Gabby
    The...Late, Young Family

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of the best idea which you share above. I like how your photographed all your steps and everyone looking so happy in this picture. In this diaper boxes very useful to me, i will try to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for hookin up at the Best of Your Best Blog Swap, my favorite thing in this though is the mustache pacifier!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Modge podge is the key for that one! I did hot glue and it was not fun had to work way too fast and with kids yanking on me it turned into the never ending process. Laura from Real Momma stopping by to say thanks for linking up in the Best of Your Best Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...