Tuesday, May 29, 2012

BBQs, Birthdays & Ball pits

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Ours was jam packed. 
That's what usually happens once the warm weather starts. It's exhausting, but fun. 

We celebrated my uncles birthday on Saturday. Oliver loves my uncle. I'm so happy, the boys have him. He's like a father to me so it means a lot that they love him. Oliver asks daily for "Uncey."  

We spent the day playing outside - it was nice and relaxing. Oliver played in the ball pit and helped my grandparents water their flowers. 




Sunday we went to a barbecue and Oliver made some new friends. Watching him play and run and laugh with the kids reminded me of being little, it was so easy to make friends then. No insecurities. You didn't worry about if the other kids like you or not, you just did your own thing. It was easy.




I wish it was that easy to make friends as an adult. Maybe it's just me, but it seems hard.

You can't just run up and ask someone to play, they'd look at you like you were nuts. Then there is the worry about if they will like you or think you were weird. If they have kids, will your kids like each other? What do you do, if your kids don't get along. What happens if your kids love each other, but you really can't stand each other? Do you still get together and have play dates for the kids sake?

What if they don't have kids? Will they understand your lifestyle. Will they understand when you can't just meet up at the mall on a random Tuesday. Will they understand that you need a weeks notice (not days) for plans. Will they understand if you have to cancel said plans last minute, because your son is throwing up?

All these things and more are the things I think about. I'm lucky to have the friends I do have, the ones I met when I was Oliver's age. The ones that have stuck by me though it all. Those friendship are the most important and I hope that my boys find friends like that.

Monday we worked our buns off getting ready for our pool party. It was a beautiful day, hot but with a breeze. Those are the days I love. Where you don't feel like you're suffocating or you're going to sweat your boobs off. We got up early to fix up our backyard. It's been a process. June 1st will make it 3 years we've been in our house and we're now just starting to make the backyard presentable. It's been a challenge. We have a small yard and an in ground pool to work around. We wanted somewhere for the boys to play, but also needed a fence around the pool for safety. I'm happy to say, it's starting to look how I pictured it when we signed those papers 3 years ago.





Houses are always a work in progress. I'm happy we have lived in our house and now are making the changes we want. It gave me time to determine my style and not make rash decisions.

Speaking of the pool, Oliver loves it. He's technically been in it since he was 4 months old, but this year is the first where he wants to be in it. Yesterday he wanted to get right in. So we put him in his floaty and he loved it. Mr. Independent didn't want anyone holding on to his raft so we just stood aside and watched him. I'm so proud of him, his fearlessness is a blessing and a curse - I'm sure.

All in all it was a wonderful weekend, full of family, friends and fun. I hope each of you had the same.

I don't like tooting my on horn but I am proud of this - I made that dress. It was my first attempt at making a dress for myself and even though I wanted to burn it a few times - it turned out. I've named it my "Son of a Birch" dress. Replace Birch with the other "B" word because that what I said more than 100 times!
 



If you haven't entered yet, the giveaway is still open!

Oh and what do you think of the new blog design? I'm happy to say, I did it all by myself. HTML use to confuse the heck out of me - but I'm starting to get the hang of it. I love the new blog - I can't make any promises, but I'm hoping to keep it like this for awhile!


4 comments :

  1. It sounds like you had a great weekend. I know what you mean about yard work. We bought our house from my grandmother almost two years ago it's taking a long time to repair years of no one around.

    You're braver than me on the dress. It looks wonderful though. I make pillowcases!

    Oh, and the look on his face in the 4th photo is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Productive weekend! My husband and I had the weekend off, but still "worked" by painting the inside of the garage...lots of work but we love the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that dress! You look great! Glad you and your cute fam had a great weekend! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really loving that dress! I've had a few sewing projects dubbed that name as well... haha. :) Your grandparents have a beautiful yard! And your pool!?! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...