Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th of July Festivities

Let's just start with this. 

source 

I've been exhausted all day, but it's a good exhausted. We had a blast the last few days. 

The Fourth of July will always hold a special place in my heart. I have the best memories of this holiday.

I have always celebrated at my grandparents house, in my hometown. It's a small town but there is a lot of love there around the 4th of July. So many people come home for this holiday. It's like a reunion every year. 
Family and friends get together at my grandparents house and sit and watch the parade that passes right in front of their home. Prime seats! 



When Ryan and I first started dating, it was one of the things I told him he needed to experience. He wasn't always excited about it, the first few years he tried to get me to do something different. I just couldn't. Going 'home' and sitting on the curb watching the parade is tradition. It was something that's so important to me, I never wanted to miss it. 

Now, Ryan comes willingly. He even looks forward to it. It's something I am so happy our boys can experience too. This was Oliver's 3rd time viewing the parade. He finally got it this year. Sat and watched the entire thing and collected all the candy. 
Seeing his face light up at the fire trucks 
and how happy he got when the candy was thrown at him.
That's the memories I have from being little
The ones I cherish so, I hope he holds onto these little things.
Someday, he will realize how big they actually are. 





After the parade we have a picnic with our friends and family. 
Yesterday was ridiculously hot, like too hot 
but we made the most of it. 

The park in the middle of the village has a carnival so we took the boys down. The rides were a little big for Oliver so we let him play the Ducky Game and he won himself a little red dog and Landon a snake. 

We came home and put the boys to bed, then around 9:15pm we woke them up and took them to see the fireworks. This was Oliver's 3rd fireworks experience and the first time where he actually
was talking about them and getting excited. 
His favorites were the red and purple ones. 
Anytime they would light up he would say, "Those are Ahber's favorite!"




The boys loved sitting out in the grass watching the fireworks. We brought snacks and glow sticks. 
Even Landon had a great time. 




I love making these memories, even if they are young and may not totally remember them. 


The 3rd of July was the Kid Parade. Every year they have a theme. This year the theme was Disney. 
I found out about it a week or so ago. I originally didn't know if we were going to do it, I didn't have any clue what I would make them both on such short notice. 
However, the other day Oliver was crawling around pretending to be a puppy. 
{Which is something he's been doing for the last month or so}
Then it hit me, they could be dalmatians from 101 Dalmatians. 
I had everything here, so I didn't have to buy anything. 
I made the costumes on Monday with Oliver's help and the parade was Tuesday evening. 





The boys did awesome. Oliver was a little upset at first, I think he was overwhelmed by all the people. Plus he was hungry. Rookie mistake sending him before dinner. 
However, once it was 'go time' he was happy and waved his flag proudly. 

The boys did such a great job, Landon smiled and laughed the entire time, probably because he had no idea what was going on. 

The last few days have been crazy and chaotic but so much fun, I'm kind of sad its all over. 



2 comments :

  1. oh you have two of the cutest little dalmatians there!! My eldest is so scared of fireworks, glad you guys don't have that issue!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they are so adorable! They are the cutest little puppies! My youngest likes to crawl around like a puppy too and his sister feeds him graham cracker Scooby Snacks.

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...