Tuesday, July 17, 2012

DIY Bakers Twine with Meredith

Kitchen redo has begun. I am currently sanding, priming and painting my way to my dream kitchen. While I am away please enjoy these guest posts from some sweet ladies! 

Hi Little Mudpies readers!
I'm Meredith (and that's my sweet hubby) from {Wait Til Your Father Gets Home}, a crafty and DIY blog that I recently started since becoming a stay at home mom to this little cutie...
First and foremost, I'm a wife and a mama. I also have a weakness for...
cinnamon toast crunch
flip flops
McDonald's caramel frappes
fall weather (hello, college football season, GO Spartans!)
and last, but not least, The Target Dollar Spot.
I'm one of Lindsay's swap sponsors and she's been sweet enough to ask me to guest post while she's taking some time to do a little kitchen redo. I cannot wait to see the end results!!
I'm so excited to be here with all of you today! I wanted to share a super simple and inexpensive twist on a favorite packaging material of mine, Baker's Twine! I'm sure you've seen it...the stuff is all over Pinterest! I love the simplicity of it, but I haven't been too found of the prices that I've seen them sold at. When I saw a fellow blogger's tutorial for making a handmade version, of course I wanted to give it a try for myself.
To make handmade baker's twine, you'll need:
sharpies (choose your colors)
ruler or a strip of cardstock
white string
wooden spools (found at Michael's)
I already had a bag full of sharpies (I've told you before...this girl = school supply addiction). I purchased the string at Michael's on sale for $2.45 and the wooden spools were something like $.50 a piece. See, it's already so much cheaper than just buying baker's twine!
To get started, wrap your string (as evenly as possible without overlapping too much) around your cardstock strip or ruler.
If you're using a ruler, you may want to cover it with painter's tape so you don't ruin it with your sharpie lines. Once you've got it wrapped to your liking (mine was about 6 inches wrapped), choose one color and make straight lines vertically down the wrapped string.
I chose to make a lime green...
...and a purple one.
After you've colored (make sure to do both sides), begin wrapping the twine onto the wooden spools. If you don't have spools, clothespins would be a nice alternative.
Voila! Handmade Baker's Twine! The awesome thing about making your own is that you can choose the exact colors you want to use.
I actually included these two spools in my Christmas in July Gift for my friend Melanie! Hopefully she will find some good use for them.
Thanks again for letting me crash your blog today Lindsay...I had a blast :)
For more crafty ideas, DIY projects, and yummy recipes please become a follower of {Wait Til Your Father Gets Home}.
You can connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. I look forward to hearing from some of you soon!
Enjoy!


How awesome and easy is that? I can't wait to try it out. I bought some online a few months ago and even thought it was on sale it was still pretty pricy. Had I known how simple it was, I would of totally made my own. Thanks so much Meredith! 

3 comments :

  1. I love this idea! WIll definitely have to try and make this. :)

    - ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Simple and easy but very impactful. I WILL remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE THIS!!! thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...