Friday, July 20, 2012

DIY Vintage Ladder with Robin

Kitchen redo has begun. I am currently sanding, priming and painting my way to my dream kitchen. While I am away please enjoy these guest posts from some sweet ladies! 

Hello again Little Mudpie readers! I am Robin over at Garage Sales R Us and I am here to share with you how to make an old vintage ladder like this one.
 I love the idea of using an old ladder in your home decor and pinned this one to my Home Inspiration page. It's so original and kinda refreshing to see something so different.
My brother and his fiance are getting married on Friday the 13th of this month. When they came to me and asked if I would do their engagements they mentioned that they wanted to do a bit of a superstitious theme. They wanted pictures of them holding a broken mirror and under a ladder. I knew this would be a tricky photo session and that if I was not careful no one would understand what they were trying to convey.  I also knew we couldn't use just any ladder. I wanted it to be an old ladder. Unsure about whether we would find something like this at a garage sale I decided I would make one. I went to Home Depot to check out wood and found a 2x2 piece of wood that was 8ft long and only $1.50 per piece of wood! Score! This was exactly what I needed. I bought three of them, brought them home and got to work.  
C.J. took one of the pieces of wood and cut it into 1 ft pieces to make rungs for the ladder. Leaving some space on both ends we then placed our rungs about 10 inches apart and nailed them in.

After he had it all nailed together it was time to make our ladder look old. I used the back side of the hammer to make large dents in my wood.
I also used a screw to distress my ladder. I placed it on my wood and gave it a good bang with the hammer.
You can see the distress marks here. There are so many ways to distress wood. Click here for the video tutorial I followed for distressing my farmhouse table.
 After beating up my wood I gave it a few coats of stain.

Here it is in the engagement pictures! The total cost to make the ladder was $4.50! Everything else in this photo session is from garage sales! The chalkboard frame was a mirror my mom bought at a garage sale for .50 cents. I painted it teal, bushed some white over the top and used chalkboard paint right over the top of the mirror. The stool by the tree my mom found for $1 and the rusted teal pot I found for $1. The fabric we used to drape over the ladder, the tree and as a blanket was found on craigslist! We bought 30 yards of it for $20 dollars. We didn't even use half of the fabric. The total cost of this photo session was $17 dollars and everything will be used as decor in the wedding!





I love these pictures and think my brother and his fiance are so cute together. 
Right now the ladder is at my mom's house so we can use it for decoration at the reception but after the wedding is over I think I will put the ladder in my guest bedroom and do something similar to the picture I pinned on Pinterest.

Thanks for reading and don't forget to stop by and follow us so you can keep up on everything that goes on around the Ferguson home!

Robin is so ridiculously talented. 
I love this ladder so much - I need to make some room in my house for my own!! 


3 comments :

  1. love it wish my hubby was handy
    I have nominated you for 2 blog awards go check it out

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ladder is beautiful. My husband and I love reporpousing and re-doing old pieces! Following you via the Monday Mingle and would love a follow back! All the best,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Actually I really just love the engagement photos, so romantic :)

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...