Thursday, July 12, 2012

Nighty Night, Nighty


Landon, my wonderful sleeper has turned into a vampire. For the last few weeks any sign of sleeping though the night has been lost. I'm sure it's his teeth that are the jerks causing the problems, but it doesn't make handling it any easier - for anyone.

I'm up with him 2-3 times a night. It always seems that the minute I go to bed, he decides to wake up. It could be 8pm or 11pm - the minute my head hits the pillow, he's in his room screaming.

The boys have separate rooms, but they share a wall so Landon's crib is on the same wall as Oliver's bed. Oliver sleeps on his floor (completely different story, for a different day) so I don't know how much he actually hears, but it was enough to completely wake him up the other night.

12:40 am Landon wakes up. I had just went to bed at 11. Landon starts crying, two minutes later Oliver is in his room crying.



It's hard being awake with one child at 12:40, throw two children into the mix and it's pretty much the most miserable thing. Ever.

Now I usually do one of two things when he wakes up in the middle of the night. I try to get him back to sleep, by rocking him and then laying him back into the crib. Then I run like I stole something back to my room, jump into my bed because I really hate walking around in the dark, and shut my eyes really fast. Hopefully, if I don't breathe loudly, he won't hear me and wake back up.

Sometimes that works. If it doesn't. Then I end up in his room, on the hardass floor.


You think I'm kidding?

I can't count the amount of times I have ended up sleeping on Landon's floor. I use to do it with Oliver too. With Oliver, I rocked him to sleep until he was two ton tilly, and I could no longer transfer him from my arms to the crib without throwing out my back. Then I started researching 'sleep training'. Laugh all you want, apparently children don't realize how awesomsauce sleep is, and they need to be trained.

It really is such a horrible phrase.

But anyways, with Oliver we started the "No Cry Sleep Solution" It should be called the sanity saver. I pretty much just hung out in his room and handed him blankets, yes, those blankets, every time he reached for me. The point of it, is to give them some other 'lovey' to give them comfort. So they eventually learn to put themselves to sleep.

I fell asleep many nights on Oliver's floor. Then I would jump awake wondering what time it was, and where I was. Of course then, I would fully come too and hope that I didn't just wake the sleeping bear. It took about a month of sleep overs for him to finally 'get it' and ever since he's been an awesome sleeper. Minus the occasional night terrors.


The goal is to do the same with Landon. However, Landon is....needier. Landon is pretty much my shadow, and if he could get any closer to me, he would be living in my skin. Maybe then, he would be content. He really loves to be cuddled. So the "No Cry Sleep Solution" isn't going as well.

So, for now we're just doing whatever works. I'm all about instant gratification, so if that means me sleeping on his floor, or him sleeping in my bed. I am all for it. I am sure I am setting him up for therapy in his lifetime - I guess I should probably start saving money for it now.

1 comment :

  1. All is fair in mommyhood and sleep. I joke that my daugter has a 'therapy journal' where I 'record' all the stuff I do that she will need to discuss in therapy later, you know, because I don't want any portion of the hour with the therapist wasted because she can't remember anything else to talk about. Thanks so much for sharing and I am a new follower! I am visiting from the GFC blog hop and The Life of a Not So Ordinary Wife.
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...