Monday, July 16, 2012

Potty Training Tips with Tiffany

Kitchen redo has begun. I am currently sanding, priming and painting my way to my dream kitchen. While I am away please enjoy these guest posts from some sweet ladies! 

Hi everyone! My name is Tiffany and I blog over at the Momma Bear diaries. When Lindsay mentioned needing guest bloggers I knew that I wanted to help, but wasn't sure what to post about. Then I remembered a conversation that we'd had a couple of days before and I immediately knew what the post would be! 
This post is going to be about the little cutie in the picture above that we call Baby Bear! You see, we have hit a pretty HUGE milestone in the last month... Baby Bear is potty trained!!! If you don't follow my blog then you may not understand just how huge this is to me. We have been trying to potty train for over a year now. She has known what to do and how to do it (see Lindsay, Oliver is totally normal on this) but absolutely refused to do it! I don't know why, but she did! So when she finally started doing it I promised everyone that I would do a post telling everyone what helped. 
One day we woke up and decided this was the day that potty boot camp starts! So as soon as she woke up we took her to the bathroom, she went and then we put big girl undies and a tank top on her. ( alot of people say let them go naked,  but I just couldn't do it ) We also spread her two potties into rooms that weren't bathrooms, so that she could easily access a toilet at all times. Then I set the timer on my iphone for every 15 minutes. When the time went off we said " It's Potty Time!!! " in a really fun and playful voice! If she went she got a skittle and we did a happy dance. If not then we just set the timer for 5 or 10 minutes later. We did this for the first day or so. After that we went to every 20 or 25 minutes. After a few days she went just when the timer went off and we stopped using it. Now we still ask her every so often, or she tells us, and we run to the big girl potty and she goes. She will sometimes wait to long to let us know and start in her undies, but that is a HUGE improvement! We are only wearing diapers at night and that makes my wallet and my heart very happy! She is also so proud of herself! We promised a big prize when she went so many days without an accident and that really motivated her. 
I know that every child is different, and what worked for her may not work for others. But one thing that I will say works with all is consistency and a positive attitude. Believe me when I say that I got BEYOND FRUSTRATED when she did really well for two days and then relapsed and had 4 accidents. But it doesn't help any to show them how frustrated you are. 
I hope that this works for some of you, but if not I would loveto know what did just in case we ever decide to have another and this way doesn't work.

I also wanted to say a huge thank you to Lindsay for having me on her little slice of the blog world today!!!!

You may remember this post I wrote months ago. Yeah, well Oliver still is all over the place with potty training so I am definitely looking forward to using the tips Tiffany used in our house. 

10 comments :

  1. We had the same issue with our daughter. It took over a year to potty train her. Once she got to the point where we knew she knew how to go, and when to go, but she wouldn't go...we knew we'd have to switch our game up. We made a potty chart for the week. Each day she didn't have an accident she got a sticker. Once she hit 7 days with no accidents she got a big treat. It worked!! It made her proud, and she could see her progress. It gave her incentive to actually go ( since we knew she knew how).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried the sticker chart and she got a sticker every time she went. But literally worked for about 3 days and then she just wanted the stickers. Lol. She may wait too long sometimes and start in her undies once in a while now, but it's way better than it was before! I'm so happy to have a mostly potty trained child! Lol

      Delete
  2. We are in potty training week right now. Thanks for the tips and I hope that our little girl will be potty trained as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck mama! Just be persistant and stay positive! Let me know how she does!!!

      Delete
  3. Congrats, momma! That's amazing! I'm starting to think about potty training...but it's really intimidating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is intimidating! But you could always just introduce it to her. :-) I know you would love to have her out of diapers before little man gets here. You never know, she could be the easiest little girl ever to potty train!

      Delete
  4. Oh we went thru this stage... My daughter was fully potty-trained, then just refused to go. Finally, she was potty-trained for good when she turned 3. We were so happy, we took her to her first movie in the movie theatre, something she'd been begging to do for a while. I guess there's knowing HOW to do it, and then there's actually getting in the habit of doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! She has known HOW to do it for a really long time! She just didn't want to. But I am so happy that we finally got her on the right track. She will be three in September so I suppose we aren't doing too bad. Thanks girl!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tips Tiffany!! And congrats! it's a huge accomplishment for the parents too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great blog! keep working this great stuff
    My site: homes for sale in edinburg tx

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...