Friday, August 10, 2012

Guest Post DIY Cupcake Tree







Hi everyone my name is Stephanie and I blog over at Slogan Adventures, where I blog about our crazy adventures and moving around, dabbling in DIY crafts, and just our life in general. Today I wanted to share the cupcake tree that I made for my first baby shower, that’s right I said first. I’m lucky and blessed to be having 3 baby showers! We are very lucky expecting parents. This one was for my family back in Buffalo, NY. My mother threw me a build a library baby shower, we got so many books for the little monkey! When planning the shower, we decided we would keep up with the whole book theme. I decided to have cupcakes made because I saw adorable book cupcake toppers and I had to have them! When I started looking for cupcake trees, I couldn’t believe the price, so I decided why not try to make my own. About a year ago is when I started getting crafty for my wedding I came across a fantastic supply website Save On Crafts. If you are looking for supplies for wedding, floral arrangements, really anything, check this site out! So I went online and found a cardboard cupcake tree and decided I could decorate it with storybook pages…It came in a big ole box and was a little overwhelming when I saw all these pieces. Luckily it comes with instructions to put together and it wasn’t that bad!
So since I had to cut up a book and it’s pages I went to the bargain section at Barnes N Noble and I hit the mother load finding a big ole Mother Goose book for only $3.98! The sweet little nursery rhymes and pics were perfect for the tiers of the tree.


Supplies I used for the cupcake tree-
Cupcake Tree
Book pages
Mod Podge (I used the Gloss)
Scissors
Ribbon
Hot Glue Gun


 1. First I found the pages that I liked and ones that had a lot of words on the page and cut those pages out, easy enough I mod podged the pages on to the different layers, smoothing out the bubbles and then cutting around the edges. I left a little bit of an edge to fold over to get it more clean lines. The one thing I did was make all the words line up so it looked like a continuous book page.
2. After covering all the layers, came the tedious part, cutting out all the little slits on the different tiers. The supports that went through the holes covered up any kind of imperfections, I was just careful I didn’t rip any of the pages completely on the from of the front.
3. I used the mod podge gloss over the top to seal everything and smooth down the pieces from cutting the slits.
4. Next I used hot glue and glued a thin black ribbon to each tier to finish off and create clean edges to give it a more finished look.
5. Put the tree together and follow the instructions, I managed to not get a picture before the cupcakes were put on :(

 6. Put cupcakes on it and take some pics before you eat them!

                                        
     


With the left over book pages, my hubby helped and we made a bunting flags out of some of the scraps for the tables for the food and gifts.


Stop by my blog and say hi sometime :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...