Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Breaking the Rules


Apparently, we're a bunch of rule breakers over here.

Who knew? I didn't.

Growing up, I guess you could call me a 'tomboy' whatever that term really means. A girl that does boyish things. I am not sure why they have to be classified as 'boyish' and why they can't just be things. I dug in the dirt, I played with cars and trucks, I ran around with boys and went fishing. All while wearing a dress.

My blog is called Little Mudpies for that very reason. I got dirty. But that was okay, because apparently it's alright for girls to do 'boyish' things. However, people get a little weirded out whenever they see a boy doing 'girlish' things.

Oliver is a boy. He loves cars and Star Wars, jumping in muddy puddles and picking at bugs. He loves fire trucks and riding his bike. He also likes it when I paint his finger nails.

Hold on to your hats, folks. It's just nail polish.

And to me and to him, that is really all it is. Nail polish.

To him, it's no different than painting on his paper. He sees me do it, and I personally don't believe its harmful in any sort of way (he knows enough not to eat it, people) so I paint his nails.

It's led to a few conversations from some very close-minded people on how I am ruining him for the rest of his life.

If that is the case, me playing in the dirt when I was little should of ruined me. Correct?

Honestly. What is the big deal? He is 2 and a half he is learning about self expression and things that he likes and doesn't like. He is innocent and pure and doesn't know about judgement.

Kids don't know about things like that until they are exposed to them, by closed-minded people.

On the flip side, I have had some people come up to me and say it looks cool. Mostly women who really don't see anything wrong with it. But some men also. I have also had some moms come up and say, "wow, my son asked me to paint his nails, I didn't because I dont want him to get picked on"

That is one thing we haven't had to deal with. He is 2 and a half and most 2 and a half year olds don't know how to pick on people. Being that young, you just think everything is fun and kids are your very best friends, no matter what they look like or if they have nail polish on their nails.

We need to be more like 2 and a half year old. They are so...accepting. Of everyone.

I would never force him to do something he didn't want to do. I don't hold him down and paint his fingers. He asks if he can have some paint on his and I say, "yes". It really is as simple as that. I don't freak out and lose sleep over it, because, honestly, the majority of it is picked off before the day is over.

Hell, there is even nail polish being marketed as just for men.

So, get over it. He is my child. I have his best intentions at heart and I love him dearly. Whether he wants to wear nail polish or not. Get off your high horses and worry about more important things than if my child is wearing nail polish.


Oliver is wearing Status Update from Birchbox. 

6 comments :

  1. Well said!
    Aaden likes to wear long necklaces. Who cares! He also likes daddy's watch, cars, dirt, dinosaurs

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son's never asked, but I know other moms who also paint their son's nails. How does it start usually? Does he see you do it? Or do you initiate it with him?

    I've heard arguments on both side - I wish people could just love each other! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's just seen me do it. And I don't do it often because I just don't have the time. He asks and if we're just hanging out I'll paint them for him. I let him pick the color too. Ryan was worried someone was going to pick on him - unfortunately the only people who have been doing the picking - are adults.

      Delete
  3. Kudos! Seriously, it is just nail polish! My 3 year old likes to wear his friend's tutu when we are over for a playdate and likes to twirl around and jump and climb, because she does it. He is a normal 3 year old. He sees mommy wear necklaces, so he likes to put them on too because he sees me as a person - not a gender. They just want to do want we all do- he likes to help me wash dishes (not that he really helps, per se) and sweep too because he sees mommy AND daddy do those things, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Oliver loves necklaces too and my bracelets lol.

      Delete
  4. My boys always have their nails painted. It's not a big deal, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!My boys play in makeup and they do make overs on me all the time. The 8 year old had stopped but the 5 and 3 year old wear lipstick sometimes...

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...