Friday, September 14, 2012

Um, Yeah, What Were We Thinking?!


I think we were a little naive about this whole remodeling project. The reason that I haven't updated on the kitchen is because, well, we decided on a whim that we wanted a new kitchen floor. Then while we were at the floor place, we thought 'what the hell, lets get a living room floor too!'

We like to live dangerously! 

So that's what we did. 

Four crazy days spent living upstairs. We moved all the furniture into our dining room Monday night. Early Tuesday morning when Oliver woke up, he proceeded to let me know that something was wrong. The conversation went something like this. 

Oliver: Oh! You moved the couch. 
Me: Yes, we had to move the couch.
Oliver: You moved the chair! 
Me: Yes, we had to move everything out of the living room
Oliver: (pointing at the cat) You moved Footie too! 
Me: (laughing) yes, we moved Footie too! 


Tuesday morning we ripped up the carpet before the boys woke up. 



We spent the day upstairs. Only going down to get things to eat. The boys didn't really have anywhere to play and there wasn't much room for anything else. Ryan spent the day painting all the trim in the living room white. Something we have wanted to do forever. 

Wednesday morning, was Oliver's first day of school. I knew it was going to be a crazy because everything was all over the place. I made sure to lay out everything the night before. But Wednesday morning Oliver wanted no part of getting ready or school. He just wanted to check out the floors and ask five thousand times why the chair and the couch were in the dining room. 



After school, we stayed at my grandma's for the day. Ryan stayed at the house with the guy. Our floors were pretty bad. The people before us either did it themselves or hired someone who didn't know what they were doing. So the guy installing our new ones had his work cut out for him. We came home later that night to a pretty crazy kitchen. My fridge and stove along with some other tables were on our back deck. 



Yesterday was the longest of the days. The boys were bored and Oliver didn't feel good so he was pretty crabby. Neither one of the understood that I couldn't just go walk into the kitchen and get them food or a cup. There were a lot of tears yesterday, some from the kids, some from me. I'll admit it. 



Miles (Myles) is the guy installing our floors. He is doing a wonderful job and is really taking his time with everything, I appreciate it - I really do. He was suppose to finish yesterday, but they didn't give him enough vinyl for the kitchen so he had to go and get more, which took up some time. So he's coming back today to finish. 

I know there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Its just hard to see it when we're in the midst of this chaos. I will be so happy when its finished. This is something Ryan and I have talked about since we moved into this house, a little over three years ago. 

I am going to say this only once, Ryan was right, and I should of listened to him when we first moved in. He wanted to rip out the carpet and install hard wood then, and I said we should wait a little bit until we were settled. Little did I know there was a bun in my oven. 

The waiting lasted longer than 'a little bit' once we found out I was pregnant, the house projects were put on hold and we were in baby mode. 

Sure, we could of did it after Oliver was born, but that is just nuts. And then of course, Landon wasn't too far behind. 

Things and timing happen for a reason, its getting done now, and that's all that matters. 

Even if that means walking outside to get the milk out of the fridge. 



5 comments :

  1. I can't wait to see the BIG REVEAL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO I like the floor you chose! Pretty! And that trim is going to look so much better painted white. Can't wait to see! Yay for finally getting projects finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did this a few years ago--gutted the kitchen & replaced the floor as well as one of the bathrooms. Problem was the kitchen is in the center of the house, so to get to the living room, we had to walk around to the back yard and come in through the back door. For several weeks we only ate meals out of the microwave--which was stationed in the living room also. But if you had to go to the bathroom, you had had to travel through the back yard AGAIN! I don't miss that hassle but it sure was worth it once we saw the beautiful results. I'm sure you are feeling the same way now!! Found you thru the blog hop and am now following you via GFC. Would LOVE it if you cold visit my humorous blog site and follow back--I would be super grateful if you could! http://Menopausalmother.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping over from the networking blog hop!
    I´m your new follower via GFC!
    Check out my blog sometime and follow back if you like!
    http://wesens-art.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...