We've had Oatmeal for a few months now. She's getting better and starting to learn some tricks. I like her, and I even think that I am starting to love her. I'm not sure that I would consider myself a dog person, yet, but if she keeps up what she's doing, then maybe. However, there have been a few times where I have threatened to take her back to the store.
I have compiled a list of several things that I have learned from having a dog.
* If it holds any importance to you, don't leave it out. Dogs don't care about material things and they will attempt to eat it or chew it into a million pieces if you're not careful.
* Dogs don't have a concept of time. She will happily nap all day long. Even when we want to play with her, she will kind of play. But 8pm rolls around, that equals run around the dining room table as fast as I can time!
* Dogs are fast. Don't try to chase a dog you will look like a fool and the dog will run laps around you. Then you will fall on your face in front of the entire neighborhood. The dog will then come over and make sure you are alright.
* Dogs eat anything, even if it's not food. Or appetizing. Oatmeal ate my underwear the other day. It was not important to me, I don't have a sentimental feeling towards my underwear but it annoyed me. However, having to pull the underwear thread out of her butthole the next day was much, much worse.
* Dogs are harder than children. However, dogs have crates and unfortunately kids can't be crated. legally.
* Dogs love to beg. Oh you're making a peanut butter sandwich? Better make one for the dog because you know the minute you open up that peanut butter jar that dog will be right there trying to wedge itself in-between you and the cabinets.
* Dogs are quick to forgive. After the underwear incident, Luke Skywalker becoming an amputee incident, Ryan's underwear incident, The Ugg boot button incident, the almost getting sprayed by a skunk incident...... Oatmeal has been in trouble more times to count. However, the minute I have cooled down, she is right there, tail wagging waiting to be pet. She likes to curl up next to me when she knows she has done wrong.
* Q-tip cotton looks the same coming out as it did going in. The only difference is, its in poop form. Same with foam fingers.
* Dogs don't care about day light savings and extra hours of sleep.
* Dogs are always happy to see you. If you leave the room for 2 seconds or 5 hours. The minute you return you will get pounced on. You must stop everything you are doing and pet the dog, because they won't stop until you give them your undivided attention.
* Dogs would eat all. day. long. Oatmeal and Landon are in cahoots. She is going to be a 500 lb walrus if she doesn't slow down on the eating. She has no self control, and Landon he thinks its hilarious. He feeds her, she eats his socks. Landon wins because he hates socks and Oatmeal wins because she gets to eat all the things.
I love her most day. She is like a 3rd child, and she gets into everything but it could be worse and she is very cute and I guess we'll keep her. We'll just keep our underwear locked up.