Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Peanut Squash Soup Recipe


Have you ever made a dish and thought to yourself, I could eat this every day and never get sick of it? Yeah, that's how I feel about this Peanut Squash Soup. At first I will admit I was skeptical. It called for things like peanut oil that I didn't have on hand, so I knew I'd have to buy that and if it was terrible I'd be stuck with a $5 bottle of oil. Sure I could use it for other things, but really. I actually stood in the store and contemplated buying it. I didn't necessary need the oil, I could of used something else but I am so glad I bought it.

Yes, I have conversations with myself in the grocery store. It's nice when the kids are with me because I can pretend that I am talking to them. But when I am alone, I may look a little crazy. Whatever, I've seen others do it too - so I know I'm not the only one!

Back to this soup, hold onto your hats because its that good. I found it over at 100 Days of Real Food. There are tons of recipes over there - It's the new year so of course I'm with everyone else who's making resolutions to eat better, yadda, yadda. We're making lifestyle changes - not just resolutions.

Peanut Squash Soup

Ingredients
1 Tablespoon Peanut Oil
4 cups (1/2 inch) cubed, peeled butternut squash
1 cup chopped onion*
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon cumin 
1/4 teaspoon coriander
3-4 cups chicken stock/broth** 
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 Tablespoons tomato paste 
Crushed red pepper, to taste 
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped 

* I used one cup of onion, Ryan said it was too overpowering. I would recommend using 1/2 of cup or if you are an onion lover - use all of it. Just be warned. I thought it was fine, but I like onion. 

**I used 3 cups of chicken broth. It was on the thicker side, which is the way we like it. If you like your soup - soupier (yes, just go with it) add more stock/broth. 

Directions
1. heat peanut oil in a large sauce pan over medium - high heat. 
2. Add squash and the next 5 ingredients 
3. Saute until the onion is tender 
4. Add chicken broth, peanut butter, tomato paste, crushed red pepper, stir. 
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the squash is tender. 
6. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve. 


1 comment :

  1. That actually sounds amazing. I love really good soups in the winter. Leaving in cold weather warrants really good soups. Thank you for sharing.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* comments.
If you like my little blog I'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun. If you leave a comment - make sure you stop back - I will reply to you right here on the blog! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...